Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Cicada Killer Wasp Time

It's mid to late August and that means Cicada Killer Wasp season. They are probably the largest most intimidating flying insect you'll see in Tennessee but fortunately they are pretty much harmless. The males aggressively skirt around the yard investigating every flower and flying insect they can find, looking for females but are unable to sting. The larger females very rarely sting humans and are more interested in finding cicadas to take back to their in-ground nests to feed larva for over-winter. You'll sometimes catch them camping an outdoor light fixture at night waiting on a cicada to show up. I was quite terrified of the buggers a few years ago but after reading about them gained much respect for them and enjoy watching them this time of year. You can read more about them here.

1 comment:

The Gilmores said...

PW and Brad - I have seen these big "_______" in my yard lately. I almost broke my leg and neck trying to escape it's path. My professional "bug sprayer" came over last week, and tried to calm my nerves...but, you guys know me well enough to know that I will not be petting these suckers anytime soon! Thanks for the education, though!!!