Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Canning Tomatoes

One thing I was looking forward to was getting Marie to show me how to can tomatoes. I've seen her can all sorts of stuff over the years but until now I've just not had an interest in it. I'm already preparing to have a big garden (by suburban standards) next year and I expect to preserve as much of what I grow as I can for the winter.
We picked up some big ol' pretty tomatoes at the farmer's market on the way back into town after the hiking trip. Between those and the few I had on hand from my own plants, we were able to make three jars.
The process was relatively easy and quite fun although I struggled at times to quantify some of Mom's steps. For example there is not set amount of time that they need to cook. You keep them boiling until you achieve a particular smell and consistency.
All three jars "popped" within 30 minutes indicating they sealed properly. Mom was raised on a farm that was pretty much sustainable. They grew all of their food and sold tobacco and cotton to cover their other needs. She has a wealth of knowledge about this stuff. If I could learn 10% of what she knows I'd been content.

No comments: