Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Water Catchment Part 2

I started work on my deck water catchment system back in May but was unable to complete it due to not having enough people around to hoist the tin roofing sheets up. Marie and Sonny came to the rescue over the weekend and we were finally able to complete the project. I've been wanting to do something like this for several years for various reasons. There are four major benefits to this system.

1 - Create a dry space for sitting and watching thunder storms
2 - Prevent erosion of the soil in front of the deck, a high traffic area for Woody
3 - Catch rain water for garden irrigation
4 - Re-catch water when irrigating plants growing on top of the deck

So we mounted tin roofing panels on the underside of the deck to bracing that was screwed up there. The bracing was arranged in such a way as to prevent the panels from sagging and provide a good slope for water runoff. I made a half box out of treated wood to hold the flimsy metal gutter. PVC pipe carries the water from the gutter to the barrel. Plastic pieces including the barrel were painted with spray paint specifically made for plastic.

I was very pleased with how it all turned out and very thankful to have the help of Marie and Sonny. This brings our total rain water storage to 110 gallons.

No comments: